Fairy tale does not deny the existence of sorrow and failure: the possibility of these is necessary to the joy of deliverance. It denies (in the face of much evidence, if you will) universal final defeat…giving a fleeting glimpse of Joy; Joy beyond the walls of the world, poignant as grief.
J.R.R. Tolkien (via baldwin4-1185)
Yet, I didn’t understand that she was intentionally disguising her feelings with sarcasm; that was usually the last resort of people who are timid and chaste of heart, whose souls have been coarsely and impudently invaded; and who, until the last moment, refuse to yield out of pride and are afraid to express their own feelings to you.
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground (via whyallcaps)
How to Be a Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits
- “Always be fuckable: when standing in line at the bakery on a Sunday morning, buying champagne in the middle of the night, or even picking up the kids from school. You never know.”
- “Be aware of your qualities and your faults. Cultivate them in private, but don’t obsess.”
- “Au naturel is the fruit of hard labor, meticulously passed down from generation to generation.”
- “Like Coco Chanel, do your utmost to avoid dinners with more than six guests around the table. In Paris, an evening often starts with a bottle of champagne, served with ice. If possible, get the conversation flowing with a controversial political statement […] While your guests are savoring your chicken, redirect the conversation to a Parisian’s second favorite dinner topic: sex.”
- “Even if the Parisian can come across as a little nonchalant, she nevertheless respects the universal principles of femininity: well-cared-for hands and feet.”
- “Parisian women never try to appear to be something other than what they are. In truth, more than wanting to look young—which is but a fleeting illusion—they want above all to become the best possible version of themselves, outside and in, at any age.”
- “The secret to making a man know you need him: Of course you can open a bottle of wine by yourself. But let him do it. That’s equality, too.”
- “Don’t use abbreviations when texting. (And emoticons should be only for your girlfriends.)”
- “Take time to take time, because nobody else will do it for you.”
I want to see a reality tv show where straight dudes have to read the shitty messages they send to women to their mothers.
i have hit rock bottom and its only tuesday
then you’ll be back up and good to go by friday